The adoption system in RO is basic and requires only a few steps and 3 people:
Step 1: Have a Male and Female become Married.
Step 2: Invite the character that is to become adopted into the party.
- Note for Parents: Must both be level 70 or higher and must have their wedding rings equipped.
- Note for Adoptee: Must be a First Class or Novice in order to be adopted.
Step 3: One of the Parents must right click the child-to-be and select "Adopt -name-". Said character will be prompted if they want to be adopted by you - if they click OK, they will become the Parents' child.
A couple only can adopt one character for their entire lives. Be sure the child-character you pick is the one you want.
Along with the mentioned "Upsides," adopted characters and their parents gain access to new skills.
Skills for Adoptees
- Mom, Dad. I love you!
- Parents will have no death penalty for 2 minutes; Requires 10% of the child's MAX SP Amount
- Mom, Dad. I Miss you!
- Summons parents to the child's location.
Skills for Parents
- Baby, come over here.
- Summons child to parent's location
Benefits of being Adopted
- The child will be able to share with either (or both) of their Parents at any given level, as long as the Parents are both 70+. This makes leeching from 1/1 to 99/50 possible.
- The child is now Size Small. This renders Skel Worker Cards ineffective in PvP against child characters, as the only aspect of it that will affect them is the +5 ATK per card.
- Since the child is Small sized, the Knight skill Pierce will only do 1 hit.
Limitations of being Adopted
- Child's HP and SP are only 75% of Max HP and Max SP.
- Adopted characters cannot increase a stat past 80 base (tip: if a character has a stat over 80 base prior to being adopted, it will stay as such - although it cannot be raised any further once adopted).
- Adopted characters cannot Rebirth/Transcend
- Adopted Blacksmiths' and Alchemists' Forge and Brewing skills rates are decreased by 50%.